Center for German Studies
The history of the Center for German Studies at the European Humanities University (EHU) begins with the establishment of an Institute for German Studies at EHU in Minsk in 1998. The Institute remained there following EHU’s forced closure in 2004. The EHU Center for German Studies opened in Vilnius in 2011 with the support of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and other benefactors.
The Center’s aim is to promote academic excellence in teaching and research on the German intellectual and cultural tradition and its manifestations in Central and Eastern Europe. Linking such fields as philosophy, sociology, cultural studies, history, and anthropology, it has established interdisciplinary cooperation with partners in Germany, Lithuania, and Belarus.
The Center organizes seminars, workshops, and discussions that examine the German legacy in the fields of culture, philosophy, politics, law, and economy. It analyzes the transnational impact of German thought on Eastern and Central European societies today as well as in centuries past. It thereby aims to reinforce and reinterpret relations between Germany, Lithuania, and Belarus.
Most events organized by the Center are free of charge and open to the public. The Center cordially invites members of international and local academic communities to take part in its activities and to cooperate on current and future projects.
Follow the EHU Center for German Studies on Facebook
Sign up for our newsletter
Download our info-booklet
Our partners and supporters include:
- Embassy of Germany in Vilnius
- EHU Förderinitiative e.V.
- EHU’s Laboratory for Critical Urbanism
- EHU’s Foreign Language Center
- EHU Jewish Studies Center
- Europa-Universität Viadrina
- Freie Universität Berlin
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Goethe Institut Lithuania
- Humboldt Universität Berlin
- Konrad Adenauer Foundation
- Lithuanian Institute of History
- Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences
- Technische Universität Dresden
- University of Tartu
- Vilnius University
- Vilnius Gediminas Technical University
Contact: Daivita Jackevičienė, EHU Center for German Studies Coordinator, deutschestudien @ ehu.lt.